2011 is fast approaching, so it’s that magic time when people make promises to themselves in the hope of creating a happy, healthy and productive new year.
What do I hope to accomplish? Here are a few of the big things:
1) Finish my master’s degree (finally). Pretty much all I have left is the thesis, and I’ve been putting it off for two years… its do or die time– and the rest of the winter will be devoted to pounding it out.
2) Finalizing our wedding plans and getting married (also a big “finally!”). I’m excited the big day is coming, and I hope all goes well.
3) Continue learning Nepali. I’m still terrible, but I got to keep trying.
4) Work out at least 3 times a week. I don’t need to loose major fat, but I’d like to trim up a bit. I was doing well before the university gym closed for the holiday, so I’m looking forward to it re-opening when the students return. I liked getting my stamina back up with a good jog like back when I was in high school, and this will hopefully also help with the stress of thesis writing and wedding planning.
5) Eat out less. P and I are paying for most of our wedding ourselves and we have been good about saving, but we do have one Achilles heal– eatting out. We don’t go to pricey restaurants but eating out cheap Vietnamese food or Indian can add up if you do it 2 times a week or more. Maybe we can make a rule that we can only eat out 4 times a month, and once we reach that, we are done for the rest of the month. I’m also contemplating giving up eating out entirely for lent!
5) Be a better food organizer. P and I have tried this off and on the past few years… making a concerted effort to plan meals in advance and grocery shop based on needs instead of wants. That way we will be better about using what is in our fridge before it goes bad and making our grocery dollar and time stretch a bit more efficiently.We aren’t terrible at this, but we could be better. To that end, I should also make an effort not to go shopping when I’m hungry because I tend to over buy, and then I’m too impatient to cook after and eat out somewhere quick even though I have a car loaded with food.
6) Spend less time doing mindless things on the internet. I’ve spent much to much time this year fooling around when I could have been doing something more productive with my time. This includes– watching too much Hulu, Netflix, weird YouTube videos, and reading Wikipedia. I’m not lumping blogging in on this because I love it too much.
7) Try to make it to Nepal for Dashain 2011 (and get P’s immigration documents squared away in time for us to travel–knock wood).
I think those are the biggies. If I think of anything more I might be getting to unrealistic. What are your top 5 (or 7) resolutions for the year?
Happy New Year to everyone!